söndag 1 juni 2008

Marie Cailliau

Marie Cailliau Café Noir 2006, 70 x 70 cm
"I am a young French artist living in Antwerp, Belgium. In my work I marry techniques of the old masters to a modern visual language inspired by my love of strip cartoons and manga."
På sin blogg ( 23 feb 2006 http://cailliau.org/blog/ ) förklarar hon vidare:
In my paintings I explore teenagehood as a particularly excluding period in one's life. I create a sense of alienation within my work and in relation to the viewers.
While my work is at first inviting, viewers are being caught peeping into a world they are not necessarily invited into. Subjects are portrayed in their daily occupations, such as eating, listening to music, or just hanging around being bored. The viewer is caught staring, and is stared back at. The painting becomes the snapshot of an interrupted scene, a moment suspended in time.
While conveying the essence of a scene, I create a conflictual relationship and put the viewers in a state of limbo between invitation and rejection.

Inga kommentarer: